Anneliese Dalaba

Readers who love clean, wholesome books and writers who write them.

The book I’m featuring today on First Line Friday is A Match of Wits by Jen Turano. I read this book a while ago, but wanted to share it today. Don’t you just love that cover? Perfect for the title of this book.

Screenshot 2018-04-11 10.35.40

Colorado — Late September 1883

“Sometimes, no matter how independent and self-assured a young lady believes herself to be, certain situations demand a good dose of screaming.”

Now it’s your turn. First Line Friday is something every reader can participate in. Pick up a book near you. Type the first line in the comments, along with the title of the book and the author. Then, if you’d like to, check out the books other readers have featured in the comments on this blog and on the Hoarding Books link at the end of this post. You might find a book you would like to read simply by reading the first line. You can also click on the title of the book above and it will take you to Amazon so you can see what my featured book is about, read the reviews other readers have shared, and purchase it if it interests you.

1. Great first line Anneliese!

Happy Friday! My FLF comes from a book I will be reading soon, Her Fear by Shelley Shepard Gray…….

Until that moment, Sadie Detweiler hadn’t thought mere words could hurt so badly. But as Harlan continued to speak, each word cutting her as deeply as if it were a shard of glass, Sadie felt her heart was bleeding.

Have an awesome weekend and Happy Reading!😎

2. Over on my blog I’m sharing the first line from The Weaver’s Daughter by Sarah E. Ladd. Here I’ll share the first line from chapter 30.

“Henry winced as he gripped the newel post and pivoted from the stair’s landing to the next flight of stairs.” — The Weaver’s Daughter by Sarah E. Ladd (first line from chapter 30)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

3. bellesmoma16 says:

I love anything by Jen Turano. She is so good!

Today on my blog, I am sharing the first line from Chasing the Wind by Paula Scott. Here I will post the first line from the prologue of Romeo and Juliet. It’s the book closest to me right now because I’m currently teaching it to my 9 Honors kiddos.

“Two households, both alike in dignity, in fair Verona, where we lay our scene, from ancient grudge break to new mutiny, where civil blood make civil hands unclean.”

Have an excellent Friday and a great weekend!

4. Haha love that first line!
    My FLF is from one of my favorites by Terri Blackstock called Covenant Child.
    “There’s a question that haunts me in the blackest hours of night, when wasted moments crowd my dreams and mock the life I know. The question is this: How could a child born of privilege and promise grow up with nothing?”
    Hope you have a great weekend!

5. carylkane says:

Elin Carlson walked into the barn and everything changed. – Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin

Happy Friday!

6. Carrie says:

oh that makes me want to reread this whole series! Love them!
    My current first line is from Kathy Herman’s Only By Death – “Liam Berne was about to commit murder – at least according to Arkansas law.”

7. nashpredsfan27 says:

Jen Turano’s books are so much fun, aren’t they?

I’m reading Julie by Catherine Marshall right now. The first line is: “Our 1928 Willys-Knight had been climbing for at least ten miles, one hairpin turn after another, under a threatening sky.”

Have a wonderful weekend!

1. I must have read that book about 25 or more years ago. Is that even possible? But I remember loving it! It was so good! And I believe it was based on a true story (don’t quote me on that). A wonderful weekend to you, too!

Lol…I had to laugh when I read this first line. I think every woman can identify with this statement. 🙂 Happy Friday!

1. I loved that first line, too! 🙂

9. Beware Of The Reader says:

Oh! I love this 😉
    Happy Friday!
    “Stop interrogating me. I’m not going to say anything different,” a panic-stricken voice shrieked after begging for the third time to leave for the hospital. “There was so much blood.”

These lines come from Father Figure by James J Cudney. A suspense and family drama with an intricate plot like none other!

10. Ellie says:

Ha ha ha!! My hubby often says to me “Does ‘whatever situation I’m in’ really require screaming?” and I always reply that it does. I think I would like this book! I hope you have a nice weekend.

1. Too funny! 🙂 A great weekend to you, too!

11. Jen Turano’s books are so fun! I need to start reading her back list.
    I’m sharing from library books today, so here is the first line from Laura V. Hilton’s Love by the Numbers:

“He was gorgeous. Simply gorgeous.”

Happy Friday!

12. She looks feisty. Happy Friday!