Anneliese Dalaba

Readers who love clean, wholesome books and writers who write them.

The book I’m featuring today on First Line Friday is a nonfiction book that a friend recently recommended to me. It’s called Praying For Strangers by River Jordan. The title itself drew me in.

Screenshot 2018-03-15 21.31.30

The great tragedy of life is not unanswered prayer, but unoffered prayer. ~F.B. Meyer

My sons are marching off to war.

First Line Friday is something every reader can participate in. Pick up a book near you. Type the first line in the comments, along with the title of the book and the author. Then check out the books other readers have featured in the comments on this blog and on the Hoarding Books link at the end of this post. You might find a book you would like to read simply by reading the first line. You can also click on the title of the book above and it will take you to Amazon so you can see what the book is about, read the reviews other readers have shared, and purchase it if it interests you.

1. Happy Friday!

My First Line Fridays comes from a book I’m hoping to get to soon, Between Friends by Debbie Macomber.

Dearest Momma,
    I thought you should know Mike and I had a baby girl on September first. I realize Daddy said I wasn’t to contact either of you ever again, but I felt you’d want to know you had a granddaughter.

Have a great weekend and happy reading!😀📚📕

2. nashpredsfan27 says:

That title definitely makes you stop and think!

The first line from my current read is:
    Brandi’s head throbbed. The hateful words still sizzled in her ears as the front door brushed open. (Finding Evergreen by Jennifer Rodewald)

Happy Friday!

Such a sad first line—happy Friday. 🙂

Happy Friday! My first line is from At Home with Daffodils by Paula Moldenhauer:

“Not again!”

5. Though I’m sharing a book with an Irish hero, The Promise of Breeze Hill by Pam Hillman, on my blog today, here’s the first line of an audiobook I’ve borrowed from the library on a friend’s recommendation, The Bookshop on the Corner (or, in the UK, The Little Shop of Happily Ever After) by Jenny Colgan:

“The problem with good things that happen is that very often they disguise themselves as awful things.”

Happy Friday!

1. I like that first line. So true. Have a wonderful weekend.

6. Beth Erin says:

How interesting!

Ty Remington blamed the homemade orange marmalade cake for why he found himself huddled under an overhang off some faraway path in Glacier National Park, shivering, praying he might live through the night.
    Storm Front by Susan May Warren

1. Great first line! It definitely pulls the reader in by making them curious. Susan May Warren is a good writer.

7. Ellie says:

That looks like an excellent book. I will have to look into it. I hope you have a great weekend!

8. I am definitely adding this one to my TBR!

9. Philippa says:

Oh dear. This doesn’t sound like it would be a happy read from that first line!

Here is the opening from my favourite story for you: “All children, except one, grow up.” Have a great week.