Anneliese Dalaba

Readers who love clean, wholesome books and writers who write them.

The book I’m featuring today on First Line Friday is A Worthy Pursuit by one of my favorite authors, Karen Witemeyer.

Screenshot 2018-04-26 00.10.51

February 1891

Austin, Texas, Sullivan’s Academy for Exceptional Youths

“I’m closing the school, Miss Atherton, and that’s my final word on the subject.”

Charlotte Atherton is a teacher on the run. A wealthy railroad investor hires bounty hunter, Stone Hammond, to return his abductor granddaughter to him. Stone never comes home empty-handed, and he has no intention of doing so this time either. However, when Miss Atherton produces documentation stating she is Lily’s legal guardian, Stone must decide whether the teacher is a villain or a victim. Being forced to spend time together causes him to see Charlotte Atherton in a new light and his heart doesn’t remain untouched.

Anytime you pick up a Karen Witemeyer novel, you will not be disappointed.

First Line Friday is something every reader can participate in. Pick up a book near you. Type the first line in the comments, along with the title of the book and the author. Then check out the books other readers have featured in the comments on this blog and on the Hoarding Books link at the end of this post. You might find a book you would like to read simply by reading the first line. You can also click on the title of the book above and it will take you to Amazon so you can see what the book is about, read the reviews other readers have shared, and purchase it if it interests you.

1. This is such a fun story! I always enjoy reading Karen Witemeyer’s stories!
    Over on my blog this week I’m sharing the first line from Sarah Sundin’s “The Sea Before Us”. It’s a fantastic story!
    Here I’ll share with you the first line from chapter 5 of the same book.
    “Teleprinters chattered and telephones buzzed, and Dorothy carried a stack of diagrams into the intelligence office.”

2. Andrea says:

Such a good book! I love Karen Witemeyer!
    Here is what I’m reading.
    Hartville, TX 1886
    Hugh Sterling hopped off the train, hand on his sidearm, ready for trouble.
    First Line from the Prologue of Seven Brides for Seven Texas Rangers Romance Collection by Erica Vetsch, Gabrielle Meyer, Amanda Barratt, Susan Page Davis, Kathleen Y’Barbo, Vicki McDonough, and Lorna Seilstad.
    Happy Friday!

1. I enjoyed reading Seven Brides for Seven Texas Rangers.

3. carylkane says:

PROLOGUE

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 20
    ATLANTA, GA
    CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL

“It’s time,” the voice said. “Remember what we told you.” – No Place To Hide by Lynette Eason

Happy Friday and Happy Reading!

4. Happy Friday!!

My FLF comes from a book I’m hoping to get to soon, Looking for a Hero by Debbie Macomber.

Savannah Charles watched the young woman wandering around her bridal shop, checking prices and looking more discouraged by the moment. Her shoulders slumped and she bit her lip when she read the tag on the wedding gown she’d selected.

Have a great weekend!!

5. Becky says:

This looks like a great read!

I’m sharing about “Across the Blue” by Carrie Turansky on the blog today. My first line will come from “Keturah” by Lisa T. Bergren since it’s the closest book to me.

10 June, 1773
    Rivenshire, England

In the hopes that at least one would get through, their father had sent three copies of his last letter from the West Indies; as it happened. his daughters received them all.

Happy Friday!

1. I will have to look into Keturah. I’ve heard good comments about it. On my TBR list now.

6. The face of the ND is a delght. You seldom see a happy face on a cover. On my blog I am featuring a K-9 story. Margaret Mizushima excellent series on a K-9 Robo. I just finished reading Veronica Heley’s FALSE PRIDE. “Late Saturday morning ‘M rs Abbot …!’‘What is it?’ Bea Abbot was terse.

7. Iola says:

This is a fun story – I love Karen Witemeyer’s books.

I’m sharing the first line from If I Run by Terri Blackstock on my blog today, but I’m about to start reading The Winsome Miss Winthrop by Carolyn Miller,which releases in March. Here’s the first line:

The deeply blue Gloucestershire sky brought comfort as Catherine Winthrop emerged from the tenant farmhouse.

I love Carolyn Miller’s books, so I’m looking forward to reading this one!

8. nashpredsfan27 says:

The cover of this one distracted me the entire time I read the book! But it was a good story (as always from Karen Witemeyer)

Not much had changed about Laurel Cove, North Carolina in the ten years since Livy Johnson had last visited. (Someplace Familiar by Teresa Tysinger)

9. Oh, I need to reread this (okay, who am I kidding, I want to reread all of Karen’s books)! I’m sharing from Michelle Griep’s The Innkeeper’s Daughter on my blog today. Here are the first two lines from one of my other current reads, Winter in Thrush Green by Miss Read:

“Autumn had come early to Thrush Green. The avenue of horse-chestnuts, which ran across its northerly end, blazed like a bonfire.”

Happy Friday! My first line is from My Heart Belongs in Castle Gate, Utah by Angie Dicken:

“Leanna McKee pushed her hat by its brim, hiding her face as best she could. She would not let him see her.”

11. JaneReads says:

I feel in love with Karen’s writing in Heart on the Line and this book is on my TBR.

1. She’s definitely an interesting and gifted writer. I think my favorite was Short Straw Bride.

12. Beth Erin says:

I always enjoy Karen Witemeyer’s stories!

13. bellesmoma16 says:

Happy Saturday!!!

I loved A Worthy Pursuit!!! It’s one of my favorites.

On my blog, I’m sharing the first lines from Lisa T. Bergren’s fantastic novel, Keturah. Here, I will share the first lines from the novel I’m currently reading, A Brush with the Beast by Richard Sones.

“Good night, Mr. D,” chirped an elderly secretary as Nick left his office on another late night. Slim, young, black briefcase in hand, he walked briskly toward the door.

I love the cover of this book! And I think I might actually have this book….so many book to read, so little time. 🙂 Happy Saturday!