Anneliese Dalaba

Readers who love clean, wholesome books and writers who write them.

First Line Friday is something every reader can participate in. Pick up a book near you. Type the first line in the comments, along with the title of the book and the author. Then check out the books other readers have featured in the comments on this blog or on the Hoarding Books link at the end of the post. You might find a book you would like to read simply by reading the first line.

The book I’m featuring today is Runaway Bride by Mary Connealy. This book is part of a series by this gifted author who loves to take her readers on an adventure. This particular book is a novella.

Screenshot 2018-01-18 19.23.51

Houston, Texas

March 20, 1879

Quiet, she had to be quiet.

Now it’s your turn. Place your first line in the comments and then check out other bloggers who participate in First Line Friday. Just click on the link below.

1. Happy Friday!

Today, my First Line Friday comes from the next book on my TBR mountain, Coming Home to Island House by Erica James…..

There she is, the scarlet woman herself.’
    ‘She’s back then.’
    ‘Back to flaunt herself right under our noses. She’s no shame, that one.’
    ‘No shame at all.’

Have a great weekend!

1. Yes, those lines certainly draw the reader in. Who is this woman they are talking about? And who are gossips? I wish you a great weekend, too.

2. I’ll have to look for this book! It looks like a really great story.
    Over on my blog I’m sharing the first line from Heather Day Gilbert’s latest “Guilt by Association” It is the 3rd book in her Murder in the Mountains series. I’ll share here the first line from chapter 4.
    “Without a doubt, the number five trailer is the prettiest place in Scots’ Hollow.”
    Have a wonderful weekend!

1. It’s hard to imagine a trailer as the prettiest place, which doesn’t say much for Scots’ Hollow. 🙂 Good writing. I wish you a wonderful weekend, too!

Happy Friday! My first line is from Callum’s Compass by Sara L. Foust:

“A persistent knock at the front door dragged Kat Williams awake.”

1. Who’s at the door? The line gets the reader’s attention. Happy Friday to you, too!

1. A good beginning. I seldom read novels as I read too fast. Today I am featuring one of my favorite series, Mattie Winston. The link is

4. Carrie says:

I love that novella!

My current first line is from The House on Foster Hill by Jaime Jo Wright –

“Death had a way of creeping up on a soul, and Ivy Thorpe was determined that when it visited her, she would not be surprised.”

1. That is a great first line! 🙂

5. Kara says:

I always enjoy Mary Connealy’s books! She can write a swoony cowboy. 😉

6. carylkane says:

PROLOGUE

Two Years Earlier

Renee huddled in the garden shed in her pajamas and tried to hear him over the pounding of her heart in her ears. – Beneath Copper Falls by Colleen Coble

Happy Friday and happy reading!

1. Pulls you right in, doesn’t it? Happy Friday to you, too.

7. bellesmoma16 says:

Happy Friday!

Over on my blog, I am featuring Brett Armstrong’s novel Destitutio Quod Remissio. It’s an interesting read so far. Here I will post the first lines from chapter four of this book.

“The streets were filled beyond the usual that day, or perhaps it only appeared so to Marcus. The market district was expansive enough to accommodate thousands. Over it looked the tall stone buildings surrounding the huge open Forum that was the city’s center for centuries. All of the grand structures were washed white by the noon’s radiance and loomed large over the transactions of Rome’s citizens.”

8. Pretty solid first line, sets up the intrigue right away. Happy Friday!

9. Courtney @ The Green Mockingbird Blog says:

Thanks for visiting my blog earlier! Here’s the first line of my current read: Impossible Saints by Clarissa Harwood.

Ingleford, Surrey: June 1907
    The day her pupil’s father threw Lilia Brooke’s copy of Homer’s Odyssey across the schoolroom was the day she knew she’d have to leave Ingleford.

1. That first line grabs your attention. I’ll have to check out the book. Thanks for connecting. 🙂